Do you enjoy running? As a parent, it’s important to stay healthy and fit for the sake of your family. However, getting out on the road with your child may seem like a challenge. Using a jogging stroller allows you to get your exercise in while your baby happily rides alongside you.
When it comes to jogging strollers, the lighter it is, the better the performance. A lightweight jogging stroller will allow you to effortlessly push your baby along with you as you tackle your daily workout, or stroll about in the park.
With so many models and manufacturers to choose from, what jogging stroller do you spend your hard earned money on? Your stroller should reflect your level of activity and experience with running. If you are a committed and dedicated Ironman athlete or just a casual runner, there is a lightweight stroller to assist you in your training or recreation activities.
The Difference Between Jogging Strollers and Traditional Strollers
If you love running, then taking your average traditional stroller on the road with you can be a nightmare that ruins your training session. Jogging strollers are designed explicitly for jogging and running. They feature larger wheels and air-filled tires with a sensitive suspension system. These features provide an entirely different stroller experience compared to the plastic wheels and no suspension of a traditional stroller.
The Candidates for Best Lightweight Jogging Stroller of 2018
Here you have a review of the five lightest jogging strollers under 26 pounds. Anyone of these models would make a fantastic piece of equipment. However, the lightest model is not necessarily the best model.
This review takes an in-depth look at the lightest strollers and then we will give you our recommendation for the best lightweight jogging stroller at the end of this article. Here are the five models that will be part of this roundup review:
- The Thule Glide – 20.4 lbs.
- The Schwinn Arrow – 22.4 lbs.
- The Thule Urban Glide – 22.6 lbs.
- The BOB Ironman – 23.2 lbs.
- Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight – 25.7 lbs.
Important Features of Jogging Stroller
Your level of experience as a runner and your training regimen will determine the most critical features of your jogging stroller. Here are some critical features that separate jogging strollers from traditional strollers.
- Front wheel swivel & lock – Most serious runners will require a front wheel swivel lock. The lock keeps the stroller running on your line and prevents it from steering off into road hazards or traffic.
- Suspension – Your stroller needs suspension to absorb the road vibration away from your baby. Most high-end joggers will also include air-filled tires that further reduce impact and shock to the frame and your baby.
- Sun visor canopy – Essential equipment to keep your baby out of the harsh elements of nature such as the sun and wind. Some models have large canopies that cover the entire carriage and have a viewing window that you can use to keep an eye on your child while you run.
- Padding and cradle– Comfort and security for your baby while you are running. All of these models can be used in conjunction with car seats and most are compatible with the leading car seat brands.
- Handbrake and emergency stop tether – If your Jogger gets away from you, then the automatic stop tether will prevent any accidents from occurring.
The Top 5 Lightweight Jogging Strollers #1: The Thule Glide – 20.4 lbs.
The Thule Glide is the lightest jogger in this roundup review. The Thule Glide is an excellent choice for serious runners that need a jogger that offers sharp response and easy pushing. The Thule Glide does just what it suggests; it glides along the road or trails effortlessly.
- Aerodynamic design.
- Suitable for any terrain.
- The lightest jogger in this review.
- One handed compact folding action.
- Fixed wheel for running.
- Excellent maneuverability in tight spaces and turns.
- Sturdy and well-built, able to carry loads of up to 75 lbs.
- Reclines to a near flat position.
- Adjustable handlebar.
- Air-filled tires.
- Plenty of storage space for nappies, cell phones, and water bottles.
- The suspension could be a little better.
The Top 5 Lightweight Jogging Strollers #2: The Schwinn Arrow – 22.4 lbs.
Schwinn has enjoyed success as one of the world’s premier bicycle brands. They decided to expand their range to include other products with a synergy to their core business. The Schwinn Arrow is their attempt at creating a high-performance, lightweight jogging stroller. We have to note that their efforts have been a tremendous success. The minimalist design and the smooth glide make for an excellent basic jogging stroller that does not have any unnecessary features.
- Minimalist design.
- Smooth ride.
- Adjustable handlebars.
- Fixed front wheel.
- Cradle reclines to almost flat.
- Can handle loads of up to 50 lbs.
- Good suspension.
- Air-filled tires.
- Does not perform well off-road and on trails.
- Could use an improved console and better storage.
The Top 5 Lightweight Jogging Strollers #3: The Thule Urban Glide – 22.6 lbs.
The Thule Urban Glide is the second model in the Thule glide series. It comes as a single stroller, but there is a dual carriage model available as well. The upgraded version of the glide features a swivel wheel that is lockable and has improved storage. This model takes the already amazing Thule Glide and does the impossible, making the model feel like a real upgraded platform. This jogger is suitable for both the road and the trail making it very versatile. Our favorite feature of this jogger is the simple folding action that is done with just one hand.
- The big brother to the Thule glide.
- Available as a lightweight double jogging stroller.
- Added features over the original glide model.
- Extended sun visor.
- Lockable front swivel wheel.
- Adjustable handlebar.
- One-handed compact fold.
- Rated to carry up to 75 lbs.
- Plenty of storage space.
- An expensive price tag. Added features may not justify the extra money over the original Glide model.
The Top 5 Lightweight Jogging Strollers #4: The BOB Ironman – 23.2 lbs.
Are you a serious athlete? Do you compete in races or fitness events? The BOB Ironman stroller is a rugged piece of equipment that can take the abuse of hundreds of hours on the roads and trails. This jogger is for serious athletes that demand the very best from their stroller.
It’s no surprise that this stroller is the official jogger of the Ironman Triathlon. The most exciting feature of this stroller is that the seating position for the baby is higher up and faces you, allowing you to keep an eye on your child while you run. The BOB Ironman is built for athletes that realize the importance of using the right equipment in their training.
- Large cargo basket.
- Front swivel wheel with lock.
- Very durable and well-made with strong materials.
- Two-step folding design.
- Easy to stow away in the trunk of your car.
- Sun visor with viewing window.
- Suitable for loads up to 70 lbs.
- Very smooth ride with excellent suspension.
- Expensive when compared to other models in this review.
The Top 5 Lightweight Jogging Strollers #5: The Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight – 25.7 lbs.
If you are looking for an economy jogger that is as light on your wallet as it is on the road, then the Joovy Zoom Ultralight is a fantastic choice. It may be the heaviest stroller in this review, but only by just a few pounds.
The Joovy Zoom is made for those long runs where you need the stroller to provide as little resistance as possible. The rolling action is smooth, with decent suspension and an emergency brake with safety leash. The Zoom suits parents that are active runners and like to get out on the road frequently. Reviews suggest that the model does better on the road than it does on trails.
- Adjustable handlebars.
- Easy to fold up and should fit in most car trunks.
- Baby tray and excellent storage space for keys, cell phone, and mp3 player.
- Extended canopy.
- Rated to hold up to fifty lbs.
- Quick release rear wheels.
- Front swivel wheel with convenient lock and trigger system on the handlebar.
- Compatible with many different brands of car seats.
- Good suspension and air-filled tires.
- Heavy compared to other models in this review.
The Final Verdict – The Best of the Bunch
And the winner is – The Thule Urban Glide. The Urban Glide is Thule’s masterpiece and is a must-have piece of equipment for both regular and casual runners. It’s a great upgrade over the previous Glide model and has all the features you need to keep your baby happy and ensure an outstanding run. It’s well priced when compared to other premium strollers, and it comes in a dual carriage if you have more than one child that you need to take out on your run. Add the Urban glide to your shopping cart and get out on the road with your family!